Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review: Nine Lives of Chloe King by Liz Braswell

“Chloe King is a normal girl. She goes to class (most of the time), fights with her mom, and crushes on a boy…or two. But around her sixteenth birthday, Chloe finds that perhaps she isn’t so normal after all. There’s the heightened night vision, the super fast reflexes – oh, and the claws.
As she discovers who she is – and where she comes from – it is clear she is not alone. And someone is trying to get her. Chloe has nine lives. But will nine be enough?”

When the Nine Lives of Chloe King started up on ABC Family this summer I fell in love with yet another series.  The show was captivating.  Shortly after I heard that it was a book and had to read it.  Needless to say I was quite disappointed, which is unusual because I normally love the books of TV shows or movies that I watch.  I found the Chloe in the book annoying and the relationship between her and her mother strained in comparison to the fine balance of single mom parent and friend routine that they have on the show.  Not to mention the fact that the role that Brian, Chloe’s friend/crush, was completely flipped from the show.  Chloe’s friendship with Paul and Amy is on the rocks half the time and she only seems to like Alec for his sex appeal and seems to think he has rocks for a brain.  Basically, the relationships within the novel were a bit not only different, but not as well put together as what I found to like on the show.

The writer’s style was catered to my tastes though.  She wrote the different point of views of different characters in the book which I like because sometimes I want to know what going on in the heads of the other characters.  Another high note is that the story all flowed evenly.  I think the idea behind the story was great and the world seemed to agree a bit at least because the TV show is doing quite well.

My rating for this book:
Liz Braswell was born in Birmingham, England but grew up in a New England town.  She majored in Egyptology at Brown University and produced video games in New York for about ten years. To learn more about her visit Lizbraswell.com

No comments: