Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Review: Indebted by Amy A. Bartol

**Spoiler Alert: If you haven't read Intuition, then you may want to hold off on reading this review.**
"I hang my head in sorrow for just a moment when I know I am truly alone. I feel like I’m going to my execution, just as he had said. Then I move forward again. I hop a fence of fieldstone and cross a field dotted with Queen Anne’s lace. Goose bumps rise on my arms as I pass the cluster of windmills that I have seen in a dream. The scent is sweet in the field though, not the scent of heat, like it had been when it was forced upon me in visions. I gaze down the hill, beyond the small, whitewashed house that I knew would be there. The church looms dark and grim with its rough-hewn, timber façade, capped by tall, oblong spires reaching to the sky. Black, ominous clouds have collected above the roofline, as if Heaven is showing me the way."
Evie and her friends are on the run from Brennus, the leader of the Gancanagh who will do whatever it takes to secure her as his queen. Reed will do whatever necessary to keep that from happening - even if it means refusing to let Evie in on his plans to protect her from the beings who are pursuing her. But his actions soon cause Evie to make decisions that put her directly in harm's way so that she can protect the ones she loves. Now that she's been cut off from everyone she's tried to save, will she be able to survive in the strange environment of the Gancanagh long enough to make it back to the friends that have so quickly become her family? Indebted is the third book in Amy Bartol's Premonition series.

I was really excited to read this book, considering how much I enjoyed the first two books in the series. And, in some ways, this book didn't disappoint in that regard. Something I liked about this book was how familiar the characters had become to me throughout this series. They were a big part of what kept my interest in the story from dwindling. And I still enjoyed how Reed and Evie's relationship developed throughout the course of this book, too.

Even though I love the characters and I really loved the first two books in this series, Indebted didn't flow quite as well as the previous two books. The story itself felt rushed and scattered throughout much of the book. But, what really bothered me more than anything was the way that Evie would always do things to get herself in trouble. I felt like a lot of the problems she had, she brought on herself and it was something that really annoyed me while I was reading this book.

I rate this book: 


As always, the reviews posted here are strictly the opinions of the reviewers. And we certainly don't want you guys to miss out on a book that you may actually enjoy solely because of the ratings that we give here. So, don't take my word about this book - check out this series, and see for yourself. After all, everyone has a different opinion when it comes to books. If you haven't yet read any of Amy Bartol's Premonition series, then you should pick up Inescapable first. If you've read the first two books, then be sure to check out Indebted. You may like it better than I did.

Amy A. Bartol lives in Michigan with her husband and their two sons. Her family is very supportive of her writing. When she's writing, they often bring her the take-out menu so that she can call and order them dinner. They listen patiently when she talks about her characters like they're real. They rarely roll their eyes when she tells them she'll only be a second while she finishes writing a chapter...and then they take off their coats. They ask her how the story is going when she surfaces after living for hours in a world of her own making. They have learned to accept her "writing uniform," consisting of a slightly unflattering pink fleece jacket, t-shirt, and black yoga pants. And they smile at her nerdy bookishness whenever she tries to explain urban fantasy to them. In short, they get her, so they are perfect and she feels blessed. Check out her website: http://www.amyabartol.com.

No comments: