Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Review: Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer

"...As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob—knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?"
There were many things I enjoyed about this book, first and foremost, the action. The book starts out with a serial killer on the loose! I also liked how Stephanie finally approached the sexual tension between Bella and Edward. I thought the entire scene was beautifully written and well thought out. And of course, the vampires and the werewolves are at it again in their ancient battle against one another. Come on guys, Edward left and Jacob stepped in to fill the void, you can't blame him for that! One of the things that bothered me was the portrayal of Jacob. As a Team Jacob fan, I thought that book made him seem a bit insensitive and immature. And what is up with the idea of imprinting? It's like deciding someone's destiny for them, just doesn't seem fair.
Lastly, I'm left seeking and searching for more depth to Bella only to find a pouty teenager. By now, even years ago, the books had picked up enough hold on the publishing world that Stephanie could have deepened Bella, making her an inspiration for teenage girls to want to be instead of the whiny, insecure girl she still is. I think I just expected a bit more character development with her.

Nonetheless, M and I both think that this was by far the best book in the series. Somehow I found myself although annoyed, still captivated enough to finish off the rest of the series eagerly!

My Rating for this Book:

 
Stephenie Meyer first book was Twilight, which as we all know went on to become a best-selling series and movies.  She originally formed the idea through a dream where she saw a young man sparkling in the sunlight.
She is also author of the best-selling book The Host which is in the process of being made into a movie as well.

No comments: