Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review: The Iron Daughter By Julie Kagawa

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.


Ash kept his end of the deal so Meghan now has to keep hers. Although they defeated the Iron King and rescued Ethan she is now stuck in the winter court as prisoner. And even though she defeated the Iron King the iron fey are still causing mayhem amongst the other fey and the winter and summer courts are close to going head to head in war. Her faery powers no longer seem to work either so she stuck amongst the cruel winter fey with little more than human strength to get her by and without Ash by her side she not even sure if she'll ever get out of the winter courts. The Iron Daughter is the fabulous sequel to Julie Kagawa's Iron King book. It has action, adventure, romance, heartbreak, and humore that keep you from putting the book down until it is finished, and then you still might not.



I really liked that in this book we got to see the winter courts. While they are all faeries there is a major difference between winter and summer just like the seasons themselves. While the summer faeries could be cruel, the winter faeries take it to a whole new level, especially Queen Mab and her icy sons. Ash becomes a whole new person while amongst the winter courts. He is much more how I pictured he would be before the happenings of the Iron King. 

Grim, my favorite character, stole the show for me. Although I am NOT a cat person at all, they freak me out, I love Grim. There’s an air of smart assness while still being completely serious that I find hilarious. Between his know it all attitude and always showing up an exactly the right moment in a lot of ways he is the hero of these books. Also, he reminds of the chesser cat in Alice and Wonderland.

I like that we get introduced to a few new characters in this book. Lea, in particular, is one of my favorites. She is powerful as all get out and for that reason she has been cast out of NeverNever to life in exile by the summer Queen. But even so she still helps Meghan a great deal in this book and although she is a complete pain in the butt I really like her. You also get to meet Mab, who I love to hate, and her other two winter sons Sage and Rowan. I didn’t mind Sage so much but Rowan is not my favorite winter guy.

The Iron Fey in this book intrigue me as well.  I would have thought that after there king had been defeated that they would have went back into hiding and minding there own business.  I guess if they had then there wouldn't be a second book but I like that there motives are a complete mystery.  I also like that some of the iron fey look like some of the regular fey.

I loved the ending to this book as well. But I obviously can’t tell you about it ;] So you’ll just have to read it.

The Iron Fey series is written by Julie Kagawa. She lives in Louisville, Ky with her husband, two dogs, and two cats. She participates in kung fu. Her other works are The Immortal Rule, which came out this past spring, Iron Fey mini books, and coming soon a new Iron Fey series.

No comments: