Friday, February 24, 2012

Feature Friday: Sarah Ross

Hey everyone!
If you haven't read Awaken by Sarah Ross, I don't know what you've been doing with your time because this is a book you can not miss out on this one! And lucky for us, we have the wonderful author here today for a guest post! Everyone please welcome Sarah Ross...


 Death has always been a touchy subject to conquer. People don’t really like to talk about it, or even think about it sometimes. I think this is especially true for young adults. When you’re a kid, you think you’re invincible. Nothing can go wrong because I am going to live forever. And then one day, you don’t.
I taught eighth grade English for several years. While I was teaching, I was lucky enough to only lose a few students. But you never forget your first.

The school that I taught at in central Florida was in a rougher area of town. It suited me just fine because I loved those kids. They were so hungry to be appreciated and loved, and I think I learned just as much from them as they did from me. The year after I moved out of the area, I got word that one of my kids died. He was walking home from football practice with his little brother when a stray bullet from a gang shooting caught him. That’s it, just walking home.

I didn’t come up with the idea for Awaken because of this story, but as I wrote it I remembered this sweet kid. He always worked hard in class, and said thank you. He wanted football to be his second chance and fresh start. I think, if the world of the Patronus were real, he would have been given his second chance.
So many things in this world aren’t fair, but my absolute favorite thing about being a writer is that I can take any wrong and make it right. I can solve every problem and make every bad guy pay. It’s what we all want to do in real life, right? That bully from middle school: fat now. That guy that dumped you to go out with the prettier girl: bald! And that Spanish homework that you did but lost and the teacher didn’t believe you: she retroactively gave you an A (thanks Ms. Cruz!). Yeah, in my world I have all the power. Bwahahaha!

When I told my friends that I was writing a young adult novel where every character was already dead, they thought I was crazy. But in my novel, Awaken, I get to right all the wrongs. In my book, children who die are given a second chance. No judgments, no waiting. Just a fresh start. I know I write fiction, but I really hope it’s true. They deserve it. And while I don’t know what really happens when we die, but I am a believer in Karma. And I have faith.



~I’m dedicating this blog post to my step-dad, Tom, who passed away in December. He’d make the most awesome Patronus ever! And I’m sure he’s making a crank call to Elvis or someone right about now. ~
 __________________

Wow, thank you for opening up and being so honest with us Sarah, I truly enjoyed the insight into you personally as well as your novel. And I know I mentioned this before, but I can't wait to read book two. :)

So if all of you readers haven't had a chance to read this one, please do. Need prove of its awesomeness? Check out our review!

No comments: