Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Review: New Moon by Stephanie Meyer

"In New Moon, Stephenie Meyer delivers another irresistible combination of romance and suspense with a supernatural twist. The "star-crossed" lovers theme continues as Bella and Edward find themselves facing new obstacles, including a devastating separation, the mysterious appearance of dangerous wolves roaming the forest in Forks, a terrifying threat of revenge from a female vampire and a deliciously sinister encounter with Italy's reigning royal family of vampires, the Volturi. Passionate, riveting, and full of surprising twists and turns, this vampire love saga is well on its way to literary immortality."

I found this book a bit crazy. After Edward's decision to step away to protect Bella, the first half of the book is Bella going insane over losing him. It feels like your typical breakup from your first love. Only her first love happens to be a sparkly vampire. But of course, some good does come from this... enter best friend Jacob who is there for Bella at just the right moment. I loved Jacob's relationship with Bella, it was so innocent and sweet. It wasn't nearly as intense and crazy as Bella's relationship with Edward. But the idea that Bella willing to take her life to try and have Edward to near her again, I felt like that went way too far.
Also, is it only me or is this age situation getting a bit out of hand? Personally, I think that I look much cuter now at 21 than I was at 18 so I'm just not sure what the huge deal was. Given, I wouldn't want to wait until I was 40 for my vampire lover to change me... but 20 isn't old!

This book for me, was an enjoyment to read when I was younger, (don't get me wrong just because of my iffy review.) but it was definitely a bit slow until at least halfway through the second portion. However, the ending had me standing on my toes, pumped to see where it went next. Now that the Volturi knows about Bella, what are they going to want? Can Bella save Edward from his own destructive self?

My Rating for this Book:

I found this book more of a transition type book than a real deal within the series.

Stephenie Meyer first book was Twilight, which as we all know went on to become a best-selling series and movies.  She originally formed the idea through a dream where she saw a young man sparkling in the sunlight.  She is also author of the best-selling book The Host which is in the process of being made into a movie as well.

No comments: