Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review: Mancode: Exposed by Rachel Thompson


"I have this theory, based on too many martinis one night,
that women speak in circles and men speak in points."
This line, more than any other, describes the experience of reading Mancode: Exposed, by Rachel Thompson. Blogger by day, essay compilist (word?) by night, Rachel has written a book that captures the real meaning of "men from Mars, women from Venus" and everything in between. This book is more a collection of essays highlighting the often humorous differences between males and females, and not just the physical ones. (Although, if that's what you really want, there's some of that in there too.) 

To be completely honest, I went into this book semi-skeptical. I offered to read and review it simply because I was interested in the source material, hoping to be incredibly offended and capable of lashing back. (What? I'm a male-feminist, or something like that.) But I was very surprised to find that, not only are most of Rachel's insight hilarious to read, most are almost completely true. As my significant other can attest, I shoved more than a few passages under her nose saying "here, read this!" while cackling wildly.  

My sincerest apologies if that was too much information. But I genuinely can't stress enough how wonderful a book like this in our current times. Mancode is a book I can see myself going back to on a crappy day, just for a laugh. Or bringing up in conversation (which I already have done) just to prove a point. As a matter of fact, I proved one of her points for her the other night! (See, it's all truth).

My surprise at the readability of this book was only outdone by my overall sadness at how short it ended up being. See, Mancode is one of those books that you get hooked on as you read, and you don't fully realize it until you turn the last page, and there's no more. It's a lighthearted, fun poke with a stick at what makes men and women tick, and the odd idiosyncrasies that still make us stay together.

Being a man, I can only hope you understand my sincerity when I say this book deserves:


If you'd like to see my super-hilarious interview with Rachel, click here.

Rachel's bio, from a project she co-founded, the Indie Book Collective:
"I usually write about men (The Mancode), marriage, kids, being a mom, living in the OC (ya know--being a pale redhead living in a sea of blondes) and vodka. Not necessarily in that order depending on the day. If you want to learn how to find humor in everyday life, well, I'm really not your girl either. Mostly I just laugh at stuff and make up words (See "Refrigeratoritis and Manesia.") Yet somehow it all seems to work."

No comments: