Friday, January 6, 2012

Feature Friday: Sally Lundy-Frommer

I am very happy to welcome Sally, author of Yesterday's Daughter, here with us today! We asked Sally her reason for choosing vampires as your protagonists in her book and also, who her favorite vampires have been throughout time. 


There was no conscious decision to select vampires as the characters in Yesterday’s Daughter, as there was no real choice to write a book.  The decision was made for me in that the characters formed in my dreams and in my imagination as vampires.  Why my subconscious selected these mythical creatures as inspiration, that’s open to speculation.  Since I don’t have access to a psychiatrist or someone who analyses dreams, I’ll take a stab at answering the question of why I chose to write about vampires.
 
The easy answer would be to say that I’m a huge fan of vampire books and movies.  I’ve seen every episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and watched Christopher Lee drain more than a few damsels in distress.  I read Stephen King’s, Salem’s Lot and the first time I saw the movie, I had nightmares for a couple of weeks.  And let’s not forget Octavia Butler’s, Fledgling.  Who can forget Shori who appears to be a child, maybe eleven years old, but is actually 53 years old.  
 
I could say all those books and movies going in my head like quarters in a slot machine were bound to produce like output.  I’m sure that’s part of it.  But, when I search deep, what draws me to vampires is time.  They have time to experience life, experiment, make mistakes, and witness the great and small.  When you compare the lives of vampires you can’t help but be struck by fleeting span of the human life.  The idea of creating characters that may have lived at the time of Mark Anthony, discussed brush strokes with Michelangelo or watched the sky as Sputnik passed over causes my imagination to churn with possibilities of what characters can do when they are not constrained by time.  There is so much opportunity to create an enormous literary canvas when my characters are not married to a specific era.  
 
So what have some of my favorite vampires done with all that time on their hands?  Take the vampire Godric from the Sookie Stackhouse books, he’s like a thousand years old and chooses to meet the sun, to die, because he can’t bear the terrible things he’s done.  He is one of my all-time favorite vampires.  Of course, I hate the evil he’s done.  But I like Godric because he wants to do the right thing.  It’s so easy for vampire characters to be jaded as Lestat is in Interview with a Vampire.  But for all the death and mayhem Godric leaves in his wake, I have compassion for him which isn’t easy, given his bloody history. 
 
There are numerous vampires, that are all my favorites for different reasons; Spike because of his ability to make me laugh and Blade because of his constant struggle to fight the thirst.  I could go on and on, but in closing, no one can deny that all these characters have at least one thing in common, time.  

--------------------

Thank you so much for coming in Sally! I loved your post, especially the Buffy references as I am a true Buffy the Vampire Slayer fanatic (literally). 

Yesterday's Daughter Summary:

"Yesterday’s Daughter is an emotionally laden paranormal vampire romance novel woven with layers of betrayal, love and loss. Grace Stone, who later learns her true identity is Sapphira, is a loner who survives abuse in the foster care system after being abandoned as a child.

A brilliant student, she escapes from her brutal foster parents as a teenager and creates a life for herself. But, her life is little more than existence; plagued with questions about what she really is, a family that she has never known and the never-ending need to keep her differences hidden. She is alone and lonely, believing it will always remain so until Malachi appears in her life.


Malachi, a Guardian of the vampire communities, has searched for his life mate, Sapphira, for decades. He refuses to cease searching for Sapphira even though she is believed dead by all. Conflict arises over the decades between Malachi and his family because of his refusals to accept another mate. But his very soul drives him on to continue his search, knowing that he could not exist if Sapphira were not in the world, somewhere."


To purchase Sally's book on Amazon, click here. For Barnes and Noble, click here.

And of course, Sally's personal bio!
I was born on a farm in the rural South to a family of migrant farm workers. At an early age,my family moved to the urban North-East. Now I live in the suburban North-East with my husband and a large assortment of plants. I hold bachelors and masters degrees in Human Resource Management and currently work in the health care industry. 


5 comments:

Tribute Books said...

Jordan, thanks for hosting Sallie for your Feature Friday post. We appreciate your support of vampire lovers everywhere.

Sallie, I agree - Godric from the "Sookie" books really makes an impression on you. Great choice.

Unknown said...

Jordan,

Many thanks for having me guest post today. I love the look of your blog. The blog is very inviting and comfy, like an old friend....:-)

Again, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Your book looks very interesting. I'm glad I saw the post for it.

Unknown said...

Andrea,

Thanks for stopping by. Yesterday's Daughter is interesting, even if I have to say so myself...(lol). Should you read it, I'd love to get your feedback.

Again, thanks for taking the time to stop by.

Jordan Butcher said...

Thanks Sally and Nichole for having me host! I loved having you!

And thanks for stopping by Andrea, I'm glad you found a new book!