Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wondering on Wednesday: Finding the Kindle For You

Choices, choices choices....
I know that with so many Kindles on the market now, it's hard to know which one you're looking for. I've been asked this question many times so my goal is with this post is to give you some of the answers directly that you've been looking for. That way it saves you from searching and digging things out yourself.

Basically, if you're looking for a basic reader, you have 3 options.
1) The 79$ Kindle. The most basic Kindle, no touch, no keyboard.
2) Kindle Touch. $99, $149. Literally, your normal Kindle reader, all touchpad.
3) Kindle Keyboard. $139, $189. Your normal Kindle reader with a keyboard.



Then you have a couple of other options, 3G + WiFi, or only WiFi. I have the Kindle Keyboard with 3G + WiFi, but to be completely honest with you, it's not entirely necessary. WiFi is everywhere you go- your home, your workplace, coffee shops... any of those places you can download books. 3G simply lets you download anywhere you want to go. Period. Obviously to get 3G and WiFi, it's a bit more pricey than simple WiFi.

Another couple of options you have is ads or no ads. The ad supported Kindles run a bit cheaper. These ads are placed in the sleep screen and at the bottom bar (I'd say about an inch big- if that) of your library screen. These ads will NEVER be in the middle of your book. So if you don't mind seeing a few ads here and there, it could be a cheaper option. If it bothers you, it's only like 20-30$ more to go without.

But don't necessarily discount the Fire. I also have it, and I tend to use my Fire more at home while my K3 Keyboard at work, it's still a snazzy little tablet with the ability to not only read but watch movies, play music/ games and run documents on.  To see the my full review of the Fire, click here. To see the (basic) specs, click here. Price runs at $199.

And just because I don't to leave it out, there is a Kindle DX, which is the Kindle 3 Keyboard only like 2-3xs the normal size. Which I personally don't think you need one that big, but it's all preference. (Plus it's like $379...)

Does that answer your questions? I hope I helped. Let me know if there's any other questions I can help with.

 

No comments: